2018 NFL Draft

:: Off Topic :: Sports

Go down

2018 NFL Draft

Post by ophion1031 on January 31st 2018, 8:04 pm

As some of you know, I do my own mock draft every year. It's still very early, with the NFL combine and free agency still a ways off, but I am starting early and putting together a first round mock that should be done next week. There are a couple of factors that are pretty vital and could completely destroy a mock draft...

1. QB's. I'm not completely sold on any of the QB's in the draft class, but teams get so desperate for a QB that it makes things unpredictable. Josh Rosen (UCLA) is the most NFL-ready QB, while Sam Darnold (USC) probably has the highest ceiling, but will need to go somewhere where he can sit for a year or two before he is ready. The Giants picking at #2 would be perfect for Darnold as long as Eli Manning returns. Darnold could backup and learn from Manning for a year or two until Manning retires. But this, and other picks, will depend on...

2. What will the Browns do with the #1 pick? What they do with the #4 pick is probably more important to a mock draft, however, because that could really throw things off. The Browns are desperate for a QB, but Josh Rosen has stated that he does not want to play for them, and Darnold is not a guy that can step in and start right away. So the smart move is to take RB Saqoun Barkley (Penn St.) with the #1 pick. Crowell will be a free agent, so they will need a RB and Barkley (IMO) is the best player in the entire draft. The #4 pick is tricky to predict. The Giants will most likely take a QB unless Barkley is available at #2, then they could take him and fill a position of need, but I think they will go with a QB. The Colts at #3 don't need a QB, so they will probably take Bradley Chubb (DE out of NS St.). That means either Darnold or Rosen will be available at #4. Darnold makes no sense for Cleveland as they need immediate help, and Rosen, as I mentioned before, has said publicly that he doesn't want to play for the Browns. So the best options at #4: take DB Minkah Fitzpatrick (Alabama), which would be a fantastic pick considering the Browns secondary is horrible, or, trade the pick. The Browns have had a ton of draft picks the last few years, and will again this year, but trading the #4 pick might be a smart move. With the Broncos picking at #5 and the Jets at #6 (both teams need a QB), there will be some teams that will offer A LOT to move up and get Rosen (assuming he is still available).

So, with these things in mind, here is what I have for a mock so far:

1. Browns: RB Saquon Barkley (Penn State)
2. Giants: QB Sam Darnold (USC)
3. Colts: DE Bradley Chubb (NC State)
4. Browns: DB Minkah Fitzpatrick (Alabama)
5. Broncos: QB Josh Rosen (UCLA)
6. Jets: QB Baker Mayfield (Oklahoma)
7. Buccaneers: OG Quenton Nelson (Notre Dame)
8. Bears: WR Calvin Ridley (Alabama)
9. 49ers:
10. Raiders:
11. Dolphins: QB Josh Allen (Wyoming)
12. Bengals:
13. Redskins:
14. Packers:
15. Cardinals:
16. Ravens:
17. Chargers:
18. Seahawks:
19. Cowboys:
20. Lions:
21. Bills:
22. Bills:
23. Rams:
24. Panthers:
25. Titans:
26. Falcons:
27. Saints:
28. Steelers:
29. Jaguars:
30. Vikings:
31. Patriots:
32. Eagles:

Last edited by ophion1031 on February 5th 2018, 12:08 am; edited 2 times in total
ophion1031

http://www.ophion1031.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 NFL Draft

Post by ophion1031 on January 31st 2018, 8:25 pm

Baker Mayfield impressed at the Senior Bowl recently, so if he has a good combine then the Broncos could snag him at #5. He kind of reminds me of John Elway. But, do the Broncos need a rookie QB that might not be ready to play right away? They already have Trevor Siemian, Paxton Lynch and Brock Osweiler. I think Mayfield would really have to impress Elway for him to consider drafting him over Quenton Nelson, a player that could start right away and upgrade their o-line.

I don't think there is any way Rosen will fall to #6, and I doubt I will have him going there when my final mock draft has been completed.

EDIT: I'm moving Rosen up to Denver at #5.
ophion1031

http://www.ophion1031.com

Back to top Go down

:: Off Topic :: Sports

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum