NOW LOCATED AT https://theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net/
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rick Marshall vs Joe Don Dickey in a fight to the death!! AKA the Rick Marshall timeline thread

3 posters

Go down

Rick Marshall vs Joe Don Dickey in a fight to the death!! AKA the Rick Marshall timeline thread Empty Rick Marshall vs Joe Don Dickey in a fight to the death!! AKA the Rick Marshall timeline thread

Post by ophion1031 January 16th 2017, 4:02 am

I'm not going to post much in this thread right now as it is almost time to go home from work, but I will work on this in the coming days and weeks and hopefully this might help us learn a few things about this strange man. I am curious as to when exactly he started using the name of Richard Reed Marshall and why he started using that name in the first place. I also want to find out if the story about the hitchhiker is true.

-March 13, 1926: Joe Don Dickey born in Lubbock County, TX to Jewel Silvester Dickey (8/31/1892 - 6/17/1975) and Ollie Mae Scarborough (1/1/1892 - 1/9/1930). Jewel and Ollie were married June 11, 1916. His older brother, Aubrey Dale Dickey, was born April 2, 1919 in Raton, NM. Aubrey lived in the Sacramento area at some point. Joe Don's father remarried, to Minnie Mae Wilson. She passed away July 4, 1975, just a couple weeks after Jewel's death.
-August 1941: Joe Don Dickey (of Hamlin, TX) enlists with the Navy in Dallas, TX.
-August 1941: Joe Don Dickey (Hamlin) accepted for enlistment in the marine corps by Abilene recruiting office. Transferred to Dallas. I take it he didn't end up getting into the Navy for whatever reason.
-October 1942: Joe Don Dickey (of Hamlin) attending school in Marfa, TX. His father, J.S. Dickey, is conductor on the Presidio-Fort Stockton Run.
-December 1942: J.S. and Joe Don Dickey leave Marfa for their home in San Angelo, TX.
-February 1943: Joe Don Dickie of McCamey, TX accepts position with the Garza Theatre in Post, TX.
-June 8, 1944: Joe Don Dickey of Runnels Co., Texas enlists in the military... again.
-1946 & 1947: Dickey is going to college in Phoenix, AZ.
-1948: Dickey is living in Marfa, TX. at the Marfa Army Air Field. This base became in airport in or before 1948, so I would assume that Dickey was an employee of the airport and not of the U.S. Army.
July 1950: Richard Reed Marshall (of Hamlin) enlists with Navy in Dallas, TX. Is this Dickie using a fake name or is this the REAL Richard Reed Marshall?
-1954 (possibly 1953): Richard Reed Marshall (of USS Castor) writes a letter (a snippet of which is available on google books) to Photography Magazine.
-1954: Working for Boeing Airplane Co. in Seattle, WA. I'm not sure which name he is using, but the Social Security application he filled out in Seattle was for the name of Richard Reed Marshall. It's hard to read the date on the application, but it looks like April of 1950 or maybe April 1954, I really can't tell.
-September 8, 2008: Rick Marshall dies at a nursing home in Sacramento, CA.

That's all the time I have for now... will finish this up later. Thanks to Galaxie500 for helping out with this timeline!

Last edited by ophion1031 on January 17th 2017, 9:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
ophion1031
ophion1031

http://www.ophion1031.com

Back to top Go down

Rick Marshall vs Joe Don Dickey in a fight to the death!! AKA the Rick Marshall timeline thread Empty Re: Rick Marshall vs Joe Don Dickey in a fight to the death!! AKA the Rick Marshall timeline thread

Post by Galaxie500 January 16th 2017, 5:13 pm

Filling in some blanks...

August 1941 - Joe Don Dickey (of Hamlin, TX) enlists with the Navy in Dallas, TX. (source: Abilene Reporter-News. 08/13/1941.)

August 1941 - Joe Don Dickey (Hamlin) accepted for enlistment in the marine corps by Abilene recruiting office. Transferred to Dallas. (source: ". 08/16/1941.)

October 1942 - Joe Don Dickey (of Hamlin) attending school in Marfa, TX. His father, J.S. Dickey, is conductor on the Presidio-Fort Stockton Run. (source: The Big Bend Sentinel. 10/30/1942.)

December 1942 - J.S. and Joe Don Dickey leave Marfa for their home in San Angelo, TX. (source: ". 01/01/1943.)

February 1943 - Joe Don Dickie (sic?) of McCamey, TX accepts position with the Garza Theatre in Post, TX. (Post Dispatch. 02/04/1943.)

July 1950 - Richard Reed Marshall (of Hamlin) enlists with Navy in Dallas, TX. (Source: Abilene Reporter-News. 07/21/1950.)

1954 (possibly 1953) - Richard Reed Marshall (of USS Castor) writes a letter (a snippet of which is available on google books) to Photography Magazine. (Source: Photography, Vol. 34.)
Galaxie500
Galaxie500

https://lawrencekane.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Rick Marshall vs Joe Don Dickey in a fight to the death!! AKA the Rick Marshall timeline thread Empty Re: Rick Marshall vs Joe Don Dickey in a fight to the death!! AKA the Rick Marshall timeline thread

Post by ophion1031 January 16th 2017, 8:01 pm

Thanks, Galaxie. So I guess I had the date wrong on his military enlistment. I wonder if the Richard Reed Marshall that enlisted in 1950 was Dickie or the real Richard Marshall.
ophion1031
ophion1031

Back to top Go down

Post by Galaxie500 January 17th 2017, 10:12 am

ophion1031 wrote:...So I guess I had the date wrong on his military enlistment...

Not necessarily. There is a 1944 army enlistment record for a Joe D. Dickey (born 1926 and living in Runnels Co. at the time of his enlistment) preserved in the national archives. Runnels is only a short distance from San Angelo and the birth date is consistent with that listed elsewhere, so it's more likely than not that this was the same guy. It's difficult to see how this can be reconciled with the other enlistment dates provided, but (as in other matters concerning Marshall) weirdness abounds...
Galaxie500
Galaxie500

Back to top Go down

Post by ophion1031 January 17th 2017, 9:43 pm

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. It's definitely weird how many times he enlisted in the military.
ophion1031
ophion1031

Back to top Go down

Post by Galaxie500 January 18th 2017, 3:50 pm

ophion1031 wrote:Ok, thanks for clearing that up. It's definitely weird how many times he enlisted in the military.

Yeah. It seems like everything about Richard Marshall is tinged with strangeness.

ophion1031 wrote:...
-1954 (possibly 1953): Richard Reed Marshall (of USS Castor) writes a letter (a snippet of which is available on google books) to Photography Magazine.

Background information on the USS Castor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Castor_(AKS-1)):

"With the outbreak of war in Korea, Castor was recommissioned 24 November 1950, and cleared San Francisco 11 March 1951 for training at Pearl Harbor. She arrived at Sasebo 14 May and from this base supplied ships in the harbors of Inchon and Pusan, Korea, as well as replenishing ships of task force TF 77 at sea.

Leaving Yokosuka astern 18 March 1952, Castor ran into a fierce storm which damaged her engines and left her dead in the water for 22 hours until she could be towed back to Japan for emergency repairs. She arrived at San Francisco 25 April for overhaul and permanent repairs.

On 9 September 1952, Castor returned to Yokosuka, now to be her home port. Since that date and through 1962 she has operated from Yokosuka and occasionally from Subic Bay, Philippine Islands, supporting the ever more important operations of U.S. 7th Fleet, as it carries out its assignment to keep the Taiwan Patrol Force at sea, and in September 1954 took part in the Vietnamese evacuation, Operation Passage to Freedom, off Indo-China. An overhaul at San Francisco early in 1955 fitted her to carry both technical and general stores."
Galaxie500
Galaxie500

Back to top Go down

Post by ophion1031 January 19th 2017, 3:59 am

Do you know if Marshall was on that ship when it arrived in San Francisco?

I was doing some research on the far-right and racist organizations and came across this guy who was born in Marfa, TX, where Dickie/Marshall used to live. This guy wasn't born until 1953 though, and he was killed by law enforcement officials in 1984. His name was Robert Jay Matthews. He was the leader of a neo-Nazi group called The Order. Kind of a weird coincidence considering how small Marfa is (less than 2,000 people). Oddly enough, it is located in Presidio County, TX.
ophion1031
ophion1031

Back to top Go down

Post by Galaxie500 January 20th 2017, 2:50 pm

ophion1031 wrote:Do you know if Marshall was on that ship when it arrived in San Francisco?

It appears to have docked in San Francisco with some degree of regularity during the '52-55 period, so it's probable (if not necessarily certain) that he was.
Galaxie500
Galaxie500

Back to top Go down

Post by ophion1031 January 21st 2017, 8:28 pm

I wonder if that was the first time he had ever been in San Fran (assuming he was on that ship) and fell in love with it and that is how he ended up there later on.
ophion1031
ophion1031

Back to top Go down

Post by Galaxie500 March 19th 2017, 6:38 am

ophion1031 wrote:I'm not going to post much in this thread right now as it is almost time to go home from work, but I will work on this in the coming days and weeks and hopefully this might help us learn a few things about this strange man. I am curious as to when exactly he started using the name of Richard Reed Marshall and why he started using that name in the first place. I also want to find out if the story about the hitchhiker is true.

-March 13, 1926: Joe Don Dickey born in Lubbock County, TX to Jewel Silvester Dickey (8/31/1892 - 6/17/1975) and Ollie Mae Scarborough (1/1/1892 - 1/9/1930). Jewel and Ollie were married June 11, 1916. His older brother, Aubrey Dale Dickey, was born April 2, 1919 in Raton, NM. Aubrey lived in the Sacramento area at some point. Joe Don's father remarried, to Minnie Mae Wilson. She passed away July 4, 1975, just a couple weeks after Jewel's death.
-August 1941: Joe Don Dickey (of Hamlin, TX) enlists with the Navy in Dallas, TX.
-August 1941: Joe Don Dickey (Hamlin) accepted for enlistment in the marine corps by Abilene recruiting office. Transferred to Dallas. I take it he didn't end up getting into the Navy for whatever reason.
-October 1942: Joe Don Dickey (of Hamlin) attending school in Marfa, TX. His father, J.S. Dickey, is conductor on the Presidio-Fort Stockton Run.
-December 1942: J.S. and Joe Don Dickey leave Marfa for their home in San Angelo, TX.
-February 1943: Joe Don Dickie of McCamey, TX accepts position with the Garza Theatre in Post, TX.
-June 8, 1944: Joe Don Dickey of Runnels Co., Texas enlists in the military... again.
-1946 & 1947: Dickey is going to college in Phoenix, AZ.
-1948: Dickey is living in Marfa, TX. at the Marfa Army Air Field. This base became in airport in or before 1948, so I would assume that Dickey was an employee of the airport and not of the U.S. Army.
July 1950: Richard Reed Marshall (of Hamlin) enlists with Navy in Dallas, TX. Is this Dickie using a fake name or is this the REAL Richard Reed Marshall?
-1954: Working for Boeing Airplane Co. in Seattle, WA. I'm not sure which name he is using, but the Social Security application he filled out in Seattle was for the name of Richard Reed Marshall. It's hard to read the date on the application, but it looks like April of 1950 or maybe April 1954, I really can't tell.
-September 8, 2008: Rick Marshall dies at a nursing home in Sacramento, CA.

That's all the time I have for now... will finish this up later. Thanks to Galaxie500 for helping out with this timeline!

-1961: Residing in Fullerton, CA.

- 1966-1967/68: Callbook listings place Marshall in San Jose, CA. Per Robert Graysmith, Marshall is an employee with S.F. International Airport during this period.
Galaxie500
Galaxie500

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocketman March 19th 2017, 8:43 pm

Chad, why was there nothing in the timeline from 1954 until 2008?
Rocketman
Rocketman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down